Friday, May 7, 2010

My Friends Invade Japan - Part 1

So I am gonna start my blog by talking about something that happened weeks ago. My friends came to Japan during the last weeks of March and early April to visit me. They arrived on the 23rd of March and did their own traveling to Hiroshima and Tokyo and eventually met up with me on the 26th.

I was sitting at my station anxiously for their arrival and the first person I see is B-Mac and then everyone else. The first thing I say is... "Holy shit! You guys are actually here!" I took a picture of them with their hella luggages and we went to get something to eat after they dropped off their shit at my place. I decided to go very Japanese and took them to an izakaya. After a couple of pouring drinks and cheering and so forth, we feasted on numerous small dishes.

We talked about many things that and some of the highlight conversations were about shame points and the guys meeting/seeing the Emperor of Japan. So you ask yourself... "What are shame points?" Well according to Rishi and everyone else... shame points are points given for anything that you do that is shameful, rude, or not allowed in Japan or I guess... just in general. Over the course of three days, the guys had already accumulated over a hundred shame points. And even at the izakaya, they kept on racking some shame points in terms of improperly pouring drinks for others. Sad to say... I also gained some shame points that night. (And I prolly have a lot accumulated over the course of my stay in Ehime) But it was only the beginning for all of us... We were about to accumulate hella shame points in the next few days...


The guys also mentioned to me that they met the Emperor of Japan. At first... I was very hesitant... I was like.. "No way... You guys are just pulling my leg or something." When they showed me a video that they took... I was surprised that it was actually the Emperor. The guys told me that they had the bodyguards approach them and ask them to clear a path for him and the Empress at the train station saying that "a famous and important person was coming in," closed down all the shops, and extinguished all the cigarettes that were present. The Royal family came into Tokyo station with their very own Shinkansen with a destination sign to nowhere. I have never seen or met the Emperor in my entire life and my friends come to Japan for the first time and one of the first people they see is the Emperor... I was extremely jealous and amazed that they did. haha

Following dinner, we headed out to do some karaoke and sang
the night away. We all sang hella random songs and there were so many that we cannot remember all of them. We simply sang too much. My first night with the guys was a very fun night where we were able to experience Japanese culture (Yes.. Karaoke = Japanese culture). The next morning... we did have a "The Hangover" moment, but all in all... it went well... haha









On the 27th, I decided to take the gang on a tour to visit my city, Niihama. We started the day by getting a late brunch and then to the local supermarket for some "snacks." And when I mean snacks... I mean sashimi. I showed the guys a particular seafood that the store was selling. And it was on sale if we bought two. My local supermarket sold whale meat and the guys were down to try some. What did they think of it? Well... the best quote that summarizes everything was "Why do people eat this? Why kill something that doesn't even taste good?" I totally agree with this comment. The whale meat tasted so bad, they needed to get the taste out of their mouth by eating another batch of sashimi. This batch was better. I recommended buri or wild yellow-tail, and it was 10 times better than whale. It was delicious and did the trick to get the whale taste out.

We then checked out the hot spring resort
called Spa Land up in the mountain of Besshi andWe basically enjoyed our day by viewing the beautiful mountain and river scenery. After our serene moment with nature, we headed back down to eat some yakitori at a restaurant called "Koya" aka Small Shack. This place actually is small shack and looks kind of run down... but inside is amazing and very elegant. I love the fact that they turned an old looking house that was about to be demolished and transformed it into a yakitori shack. They serve some of the best yakitori that I have had in my life. =) Anyhoo, after dinner, we went to a pachinko parlor. The guys really wanted to do it so I took them to one of the parlors near my house. Actually... near my place... there's like 6 pachinko parlors and all on the same main road... its kind of ridiculous haha... Anyhow...Rishi, Marlon, Cuyler, and I tried out the pachinko machine... and we were hella confused in how it worked. Some of us broked the machine a couple of times before we knew what we were doing... By that point, we already went through half our balls and as soon as we got the hang of it... no more balls... I dont know why pachinko is so big in Japan... it doesn't take any skills. You just turn the knob and shoot out balls and try to get it into specific slots so you can spin a video wheel in the middle. And most of the time... these video wheel are huge teases. haha We ended our day convinced that pachinko is pretty lame haha

No comments:

Post a Comment